Beeline

Skateboarding and BMX

Back to Article
Back to Article

Skateboarding and BMX

Lydia Tordoff and Haley Price

A sport has begun to trend again with high schoolers. Skateboarding is four things bundled into one package: a recreational activity, an art form, a job, or a method of transportation. Skateboarding has made such a big comeback that it will be in the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan. Sophomore Daniel Botham says that skateboarding is just for fun.

“There are no rules. It’s just fun to do, you have freedom. I think it’s just a hobby,” Botham said. “I don’t want to push myself too hard, because I hear that [with] the pro skateboarders, it’s all they do and they get bored with it, so I want to keep it fun.”

There are a variety of tricks in the BMX and skateboarding world. Different tricks take different amounts of effort and time to master. Freshman Weston Hedrick is no newcomer, but realizes the commitment and work that it takes to master a skill.

“A 360 took almost 2 years. Bar spins and bunny hops are easy,” Hedrick said. “I want to learn a manual 180.”

It is possible to achieve a job in the skateboarding profession. For example, you can work in a skate shop, build skateparks, make boards, or even become a sponsored skateboarder. Sophomore Luke Tibbs has been skateboarding for 6 years and wants to pursue a career in the field.

“I do plan on being sponsored and working at the local skatepark,” Tibbs said. “I hope to go further with it, I don’t know if that will happen though.”

Freshman Noah Fulmer, who has been riding BMX for two years, is undecided on whether or not he will go into the BMX business.

“Probably not, unless I decide to work at a bike shop because you have to start when you’re a lot younger to be great at it,” Fulmer said.

One uniform thing that can be heard from BMX riders and skateboarders is that both sports provide a euphoric experience.

“It’s really fun, it’s good exercise and can help you develop strength in your body. It’s honestly exciting,” freshman Austin Hough said about BMX riding.