Writer Bees Writing Club Offers Up Potential Poets

Image Source

Erin McKown, Reporter

This year’s Writer Bees Writing Club, hosted by librarian Ms. Brooksie Kramer, is filled with student authors creating different forms of literature. Pieces vary from poetry to novels and some of the club members’ writing will be featured in Calliope, the school’s end-of-the-year magazine. While some pieces are completed, writing club continues to meet once every month during flex.

“We have had 32 total members this year,”Ms. Kramer said, the founder of the club and the school librarian. “It was the largest writing club we’ve ever had.”

Senior Abby Burnett has written several finished poems and is deciphering which one to submit. She considers writing a fun activity in which she gets to relay her imaginative mental prose on paper.

“I’m a spontaneous writer, if it pops in my head, I write it down before it can go anywhere and expand from that if I want to,” Burnett said. “We don’t really have many topics that overlap, seeing as many of the people who joined writing club haven’t shown Mrs. Kramer anything. At our last meeting, there were only five of us who had something almost ready to submit. So we got together and shared our work with each other to get feedback on it. Everyone’s work is pretty quality. An art, such as writing, is hard to judge because it’s so subjective.”

Sophomore Caitlyn Berryhill is a writing enthusiast and enjoys the club as well as writing poetry. She finds consolation with a pencil in hand and a notebook beneath her, writing her feelings and personal experiences in forms of poetry.

“I love writing club,” Berryhill said. “I write freestyle poetry mostly. Most of the things I write about are as a result of personal experiences. Some of them are emotional and relatable, but I suppose they can be controversial at times. I try to write things that I feel in hopes that other people will read them and be able to relate to the situation being depicted in my writing. The stuff I write always holds a special place in my heart, even when I go back and read stuff that I wrote a while back, I can still remember what caused me to write it or who I’m writing about. Even if the emotion that I was feeling at the time, whether that be anger, joy, or sadness, has passed, the fact that I wrote it is important. ”

Berryhill submitted one of her poems though it is without an official title.

“Every action, good and bad, must be followed with a consequence.

You don’t wear sunscreen; you get a sunburn.

You don’t protect your heart against those who take advantage of your kindness; your heart will be broken.

Please know, however, that consequences are not to be feared.

They are merely the effects to our causes, and the reaction our action.

When you learn not to cower at your reflection in the mirror, you will feel empowered.

When you let someone crumble your walls down, you will have the chance of being loved.

So please, never fear the consequences, but be thoughtful about your actions instead.”