Beeline

Brookville’s Annual Baccalaureate

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brookville’s Annual Baccalaureate

Erin Mckown, Reporter

Brookville’s annual Baccalaureate took place at Heritage United Methodist Church on Sunday. The Baccalaureate service opened with senior class president Emma Sisk’s opening statements, followed by senior class historian David Frett leading an opening prayer.

Senior treasurer Emmie Summy and secretary Camden Osborne were featured reading bible verses, and senior Sydney Reichert performed “The Prayer.” The church’s pastor, Reverend Dr. Paul Baker also delivered his testimony, and gave a spiritual blessing to the senior class. However, the main focus of the Baccalaureate was the Candle Ceremony, and the symbolization of leaving a legacy.

“The Baccalaureate is where seniors sign up with someone who is an underclassman, usually their friend or their sibling,” senior Kaitlyn Swan explained. “The seniors light a candle for the underclassmen and hand the candle to them, symbolizing passing our legacy down to them. More people go with their sibling, but if they don’t have a younger sibling like me they just go with their friends to do it.”

After the Candle Ceremony, a reception was held in the church fellowship hall, with cake and punch available as refreshments. Swan, who had participated in the Baccalaureate before with her older sister, appreciated the service once again, though this time attending with a friend.

“It was a little nerve-racking, but at the end it was worth it because I passed my legacy down. It feels kind of weird being a senior,” Swan said. “Knowing that I did this four years ago with my sister, and now that four years have passed and I’m a senior- it just goes so fast. I’ve made really good memories at Brookville High School that I’ll never forget and all my friends I’ll never forget. It’s kind of sad, but knowing that better things are gonna happen, I’m hopeful.”

While seniors like Kaitlyn Swan attended the Baccalaureate with a friend, others like senior Carley Mitchell had siblings accompanying them. Mitchell went to the Baccalaureate with her younger brother, freshman Chase Mitchell.

“I think the Baccalaureate was great,” Carley Mitchell said. “I’m sad that this is my last year, but it’s okay. I liked the service, and it was very inspirational. I chose my brother, because I felt I kind of had to. I hope he keeps his grades up and that he’s nice and kind, and not a jerk.”

Like Mitchell, senior Skylar Kidd participated in the Baccalaureate with her younger brother, Hunter Kidd. Kidd found the opening service to be quite long, but still appreciated the overall message of the event.

“The service was very long, and at first I didn’t know where the reverend was going with his message, but then he tied it all together at the end,” Skylar Kidd said. “The Baccalaureate is special to me, just because it’s the end of our high school career, and we’re just passing our legacy down to the future underclassmen.”