“Bohemian Rhapsody” Triumphs Over “A Star is Born” At the Golden Globes

Lucia Andrades, Contributor

“Bohemian Rhapsody” worked its way to a shocking win of the Best Motion Picture — Drama award at Sunday’s Golden Globes, bringing it closer to a possible nomination in February’s Oscars. Despite stiff competition, the movie directed by Bryan Singer managed to beat the critically acclaimed “A Star is Born”.

“I definitely think ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ won because of the Live Aid performance scene. It was a good recreation of the real one because they’re really close,” junior Sydney Gellert said.

Both dramas, based on rock stars struggle to manage fame and social pressure, are potential Oscar nominations. While “Bohemian Rhapsody” tells the story about the 80s rock band Queen, “A Star is Born” narrates the life of a woman whose musical talent is discovered by a famous rock singer who shows her talent to the world.

“I think that Bohemian Rhapsody’s victory was really fair from my point of view,” sophomore Julianna Ferguson said. “Even though their plots are similar, ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ had the action that ‘A Star is Born’ was missing.”

In a complete surprise to many of the 18.6 million viewers of the 2019 Golden Globes night, “A Star Is Born” took home just one award of the five it was nominated for. Bradley Cooper’s directorial debut won only “Best Original Song” for the track Shallow, performed by Lady Gaga.

“Though the movie didn’t impress me that much, I loved its soundtrack”, senior Lily Sugawara said. “Lady Gaga’s performance was perfect and I still listen to the songs.”