No-Kill Animal Shelters

Back to Article
Back to Article

No-Kill Animal Shelters

Erin McKown, Reporter

As the year grows colder, more and more animals are flooding into animal shelters for refuge. Around 7.6 million animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, causing these shelters to overcrowd. Due to this, many dogs and cats are put down. With no-kill shelters becoming more common, however, more are given a chance to live. Animal lovers are both pleased yet hesitant of this increase.

“Well, when there are too many animals and there’s nowhere for them to go, you obviously have to do something,” freshman Anna Samples said. “They have to go somewhere and there’s only so much space. If animals were fixed more often, I don’t think there would be that overpopulation but there is, and so something has to be done. There’s only so many people and there’s a lot of animals. I think if there is room at the shelter, no animal should be put down unless they’re really sick. More people need to be aware of how many animals do get put down and I think if more people knew more people would adopt.”

Despite possible inconveniences, people still fully support no-kill shelters. Individuals harboring a passionate love for creatures hate to see the animals striving to survive in the bitter cold and would rather have them living at shelters as opposed to being put down.

“I’m very in favor of no-kill shelters,” freshman Sydney Gellert said. “They’re better for the dogs and cats. It’s not a good way of population control but I think it’s better for the pets in general. The best way to control population would be people adopting and fixing the dogs, of course. There are definitely better ways to get animals adopted rather than to have them put down.  They could have more advertising with the dogs and cats to help them get adopted.”

Another prominent factor that affected many opinions is the likelihood of homeless animals growing sick or old before reaching adoption and finding a home.

“Nobody wants animals to be put down or see them suffering,” senior Emily Dooley said. “There is also the threat of sickness that passes around and so immunization becomes more prominent for sicker animals. I really like no-kill shelters, though, because they provide a refuge for the animals and give them a chance at life. I think everyone should consider adoption because dogs and cats are amazing companions. All of them deserve homes outside the shelter. Especially older animals or animals that have had sicknesses before. Since they’re less likely to be adopted, they’re probably going to be put down. In a no-kill shelter, though, they can at least stay somewhere safe and receive food and shelter. I am absolutely supportive of no-kill shelters and all shelters around that just want to help animals find homes.”

Sources: http://www.aspca.org/animal-homelessness/shelter-intake-and-surrender/pet-statistics