How Losing the Bee Population Will Effect Us

Gabi Hogg, Reporter

In September of 2016, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services stated that seven species of yellow-faced bees, all native to Hawaii, should be protected under the Endangered Species Act. Loss of habitat, wildfires and insects have contributed to the death of these species’. Ever since Brookville was built in 1969 the bee has been the school’s mascot. Bees are more than just our mascot and there are significant repercussions to the change in the bee population.

“Horticulture needs the bees because they have flowers that need to be pollinated,” the sophomore said. “I guess if there aren’t enough bees pollinating the flowers then we wouldn’t have plants and that would be disappointing.”

Without bees, no seeds or pollen would be spread and a lot of food crops and plants would die off.

“Since they pollinate everything, if [bees] don’t pollinate things then food can’t grow. and if we don’t have food then we can’t eat and we aren’t going to live,” freshman Sarah Cole said. “It’s kind of scary because if bees die then we die.”

Bees are a vital part of nature. Their pollination helps flowers grow and animals eat. At the high school most students are afraid of bees and don’t want to know what’s going on with them.

“It would be cool if we had a beekeeper come in and tell us what bees do. We could see how it all works,” freshman Sandy Pham said. “I think that most people think bees are mean but it’s not the bees, it’s the wasps.”

In addition to beekeepers, sophomore Mitchell Templeton suggests that Brookville should have a bee farm in the back area of the school. Something that helps represent our mascot and the movement.

“I don’t think it would affect us but it should considering our mascot is a bee,” the sophomore said. “I think we should take it more seriously than we do. I always thought it would be cool if we had a little mini bee farm in the back. We have the space where we could do that.”

Sources:

The Washington Post

Pbs

NRDC.org